Chairperson – Ramakrishna Vedanta Society (RKVS) – Executive Committee
The Ramakrishna Vedanta Society (RKVS) has been serving the spiritual, religious and cultural needs of the Hindu community in Lenasia for more than forty two years.
Under the current leadership and with the support, guidance and help of the resident priest, Shree Jaydevbhai Shukla and the committee members, there have been some notable recent achievements. Some of these are:
- Adoption of the new RKVS Constitution
- Under the new constitution, there has been a refinement of the Aims and Objectives of RKVS as well as a new and better organisational structure to help the organisation fulfil its intended purpose and to protect its assets.
- Five year plan – hosting of discourses on the various Geetas
- Over a 5 year period the RKVS plans to offer discourses on the various other Geetas from the Vedantic scriptures.
- Thus far (August 2015) we have hosted discourses on the Uddhav Geeta, Ashtavakra Geeta, Kapil Geeta, Ram Geeta and the Guru Geeta.
- Vedic Chanting classes
- These classes are aimed to assist the devotees in learning various Vedic prayers and shloks and to chant them with the proper pronunciation.
- Revival of the Sunday School
- The Sunday School program was revived so that children are exposed to the Hindu Dharma and the system of values to live a proper and fulfilling life.
- Making a Difference Initiative
- This initiative was started to offer assistance to social and welfare organisations and welfare programs to provide them with much needed equipment and funds.
- Launch of our website
- The website aims to keep the public informed of the various activities of the RKVS and the Laksminarayan Mandir as well as provide a resource for articles and e-books on Hinduism and Vedanta.
- Guru Purnima Program
- This new annual program observes this most auspicious day by the performance of the Satya Datta Vrat Katha.
Some of the more popular annual functions that are hosted at the Mandir and Hall are:
- Samooh Katha
- Shanti Havan
- Ganpati Choth celebrations
- 108 recitals of the Hanuman Chalisa
- Tulsi Vivah
- Navratri Program
Many of the other significant events on the Hindu calendar such as Ram Navmi, Krishna Janmastami, Shivratri etc. are also observed or celebrated.
Bhagvad Geeta Classes
A special mention and acknowledgement must be made to Shree Jaydevbhai Shukla who has been conducting Bhagavad Geeta classes at the Mandir for more than fourteen years.
As you can see we have a full program of activities to meet the spiritual and religious needs of the devotees. So please join us in our functions and activities.
In the Bhagavad Geeta (Ch18, V.46), Shree Krishna says:
“Man attains the highest perfection by worshipping through his own natural duties Him from whom the tide of creation has streamed forthand by whom allthis universe is pervaded.”
One interpretation of this verse is that when we serve the society through our natural talents we are serving the Lord and thus can attain the highest perfection through this service. Thus if you are a good organiser, join our committee and assist us in organising these programs or if you are talented in marketing, assist us in our marketing efforts etc. In this way service to the organisation is service to Bhagavan Lakshmi Narayan.